Mondi Gronau has a proven track record of producing and handling films, laminates, nonwovens and elastic ear laminates for hygiene products. This knowledge will be applied to the entire value chain of face mask production.
“We are well positioned for the increased production of face masks and melt blown nonwoven fabric in Gronau. Our people have the needed know-how and expertise on working with these materials and the technology required. The in-house production capability of all substantial components positions us to build up a long-term competitive local supply. Once up and running, we will be able to produce more than one million face masks per day," says Jürgen Schneider, MD-Mondi Personal Care Components (PCC).
The production lines will produce meltblown, nonwoven fabric and surgical masks. Given the shortage of meltblown fabric in the marketplace, Mondi's plant in Gronau will offer approximately 50% of its production to other facemask manufacturers in Europe.
- Meltblown, nonwoven fabric provides a better filtering function than cotton
- The single threads of nonwoven fabric are 20 times thinner than a human hair
- Surgical face masks type IIR have to meet the following requirements:
- Bacterial Filtration Efficiency: 98%
- Breathing Resistance: < 60.0 Pa/cm2
- Splash Resistance: ≥ 16 kPA