I can't tell you how many times I have seen people working with open drive cabinets. Bare knuckles, no glasses or shield, uninsulated tools. In fact, I might be guilty of this as well. When I started working with electrical equipment in the 1970s, we had to work with the cabinet open. Even worse, many web-handling drives were placed in clean rooms with multiple silent, deadly, open drives.
I was trained by someone who frequently changed analog drive functions by wire wrapping an operating drive.
One electrician criticized my drive design once by showing me that while unfastening the hinged circuit board on an operating drive, his fingers came dangerously close to touching 600 volts.
Many times I have seen cabinet doors tied open because the drive ran better if it didn't overheat.
One time while on a plant tour for electrical engineers put on by a metal rolling association, we saw a drive that had failed overnight and was replaced with a new drive flat on its back and hay-wired so that production could continue.
I have also seen my share of close calls. Shocks and burns. I have met four people who survived burns to large percentages of their bodies.
We can do better. Some bad habits are worth breaking. The law, our management, and the shareholders all want us to work safely.