Here’s a quick rundown on the newest technical advances Pillar has come up with.
- In induction sealing: The new “tool-less adjustable channel coil” employs only knob or motorized adjustors to handle up to 80% of all cap-sealing and 100% of all tunnel-coil applications. Along with boosting productivity and efficiency, the advancement significantly reduces the number of coils required on packaging lines.
- In surface treatment: The Pillar laboratory’s state-of-the-art pilot line features bare-roll corona, covered-roll corona, high-ceramic corona, and atmospheric-plasma (APT) treaters that process webs up to 62 in. wide at speeds up to 1,000 fpm. The APT offers controlled, diffused or flash-evaporation atmospheres in a choice of gases.
- The new VERSACoat™ ceramic roll covering provides up to 70% higher dielectric strength than standard ceramic coverings; 20% higher than glass; and 25% higher than silicone.
- The Protean1™ APT process discharges molecules, atoms and ions to remove vaporized contaminants, water vapor, CO, CO2 and unreacted process gases from the substrate, leaving a clean surface with dangling bonds to improve basic adhesion. Unlike conventional APT, the Protean1 also provides for (specific) surface chemical reaction. New dual-nip seal and low-footprint configurations are offered.
- Directly connected to each piece of equipment, UPTIME360™ is a software integrated with hardware and paired with Pillar systems to provide management and performance improvement teams with a 100% accurate, real-time, 360-deg picture of plant-floor operations.
- The new UPTIME Maintenance Indicator™ on corona treaters senses a pre-programmed level of contamination of the ground roll, then automatically signals operators via a stack light to perform required maintenance. It safeguards against backside treatment issues and product waste.
- The new Discharge Spy™ verifies and monitors corona and APT discharges, directly in-line with the discharge zone between each electrode and the ground roll. High-res, live video or still photos can be captured by a USB cable connection.
- eGap™ now allows for automated air-gap adjustment based on customer PLC controls. Gap calibration is as tight as 0.005 in., and electrode splice-clearing can be as fast as 0.15 milliseconds.
- And a breakthrough in anti-counterfeiting and brand authenticity is available via plasma grafting of DNA directly into the substrate or textile material itself, rather than just a coating.
Check out these photos from the plant tour.