The US$10.15 per share in cash represents a premium of approximately 29% to the closing price on March 1, 2016, the last trading day prior to the signing of the definitive merger agreement.
Geoffrey T. Martin, president/CEO, says, "We have admired Checkpoint for many years as they built a unique, leading global position providing technology-driven label solutions to the retail & apparel industry. We are very pleased to welcome their deeply experienced people to CCL where they will continue to focus on this important industry for emerging 'smart label' technologies."
Checkpoint is a leading manufacturer of technology-driven, loss prevention, inventory management and labeling solutions, including RF and RFID-based, to the retail & apparel industry. The business has operations in 29 countries including 46 go-to-market units and 21 manufacturing facilities. For the last 12 months ended September 27, 2015, Checkpoint generated net revenue of approximately $820 million and Adjusted EBITDA (before synergies) of $83 million, resulting in an Adjusted EBITDA margin of 10.2%.
The transaction represents a compelling and unique opportunity for CCL to enhance breadth and scale, while creating an opportunity to realize meaningful synergies, and earnings accretion as follows:
- Leading technology-driven label solutions provider to the retail and apparel sector
- Long-standing, blue-chip customer base of top global retailers and apparel brands
- Attractive 'smart label' product portfolio including radio-frequency identification ("RFID") solutions
- Global sales footprint spanning 29 countries serving all major retail markets
- Expands CCL's international operating platform, especially in Asia
- Identified annual synergies of up to $40 million
- Asset-light business model and improved working capital efficiency could accumulate significant free cash flow to drive rapid de-leveraging
- Meaningful and immediate earnings accretion