As expected, the new drive control electronics performs extremely well. Auto-tune did not work for the very old motor the drive was connected to. Manual tuning produced the desired response in short order.
Communications were the main issue. We used Ethernet communications between the PLC system, HMI’s and the newly updated drive. Plugging in the cable introduced comm errors for the entire PLC network. This was resolved by changing out a defective Ethernet adapter in the new drive.
This drive upgrade was a lot of work. We are comforted knowing we have new electronics on an old drive. This upgrade was not done until absolutely necessary (the drive was producing faults that were extremely expensive to troubleshoot). The new diagnostics are fantastic. No; the installation was not below budget! In this case we did save money in upgrading rather than replacing the drive. That would only be true for high power drives.
The picture shows the wire wrap on the old drive control. We won't miss it!