In both cases the drives were adequate for web handling, but it seemed the engineering was not complete. There were many more than one problem. Once production expects the machine to operate correctly, troubleshooting these problems becomes very costly.
The problems experienced follow a typical list and are items that could be addressed in advance. The issues included:
- Drive Communications intermittent
- Diameter measurements not repeatable
- Inertia compensation not set
- Drives without encoders do not perform
- Tension regulators need constant retuning
- Light curtain upsets the sequence